From the ALSC website:
- The Theodor Seuss Geisel Award recognizes the author(s) and illustrator(s) of the most distinguished beginning reader of the year.
- The text of the book must be geared towards children preschool through 2nd grade.
- Illustrations must function as clues to the text & demonstrate the story being told.
- Subject matter must motivate the child to read.
- New words should be added slowly enough to make learning them a positive experience.
- Words should be repeated to ensure retention.
- Sentences must be simple and straightforward.
- The book creates a successful reading experience.
- The plot advances from one page to the next, creating a "page turning" dynamic.